Rebel Snowspeeder

AMT/ERTL's Rebel Snowspeeder is a fun kit to build. Don't get me wrong, it has a lot of problems, but I like the way the vehicle is designed and there's a lot of scratchbuilding potential.

This is one of my older models, one I built and began painting a few years ago. I left it in an unfinished condition to move on to other projects and only pulled it out again to finally finish it and use it to test battle damage effects. I assembled the interior first and painted the pilot figures and the cockpit without much detailing unfortunately. The main speeder parts were primed in an automotive white primer and left to linger in my project closet.

When I decided to revist this model I decided this would be a good chance to test some new effects for battle damage, washes, and shading with chalk pastels. To do most of the damaging I used a dremel to carve some blaster hits and "burn" them in with an airbrush using black paint. I also tested using pastels to create streaks of soot and dirt and helping to blend some of the damage more subtly as if it had faded a bit over time. I considered redoing the interior to give it and the pilots more detail, but in the end I decided I had learned what I needed to from this project and to move on.

All in all I really enjoyed applying effects to this kit and would like to do another in the future.

Paints Used:
- Testors Model Master Acryl Flat White
- Testors Model Master Acryl Flat Black
- Testors Acryl Light Gray
- Gamesworkshop Citadel Blood Red
- Tamiya Acrylic Metallic Gray

The speeder was first primed in an unknown white automotive spray paint. I then pre-shaded certain panels in Light Gray, then airbrushed over the entire model with Flat White. The stripes were masked off and painted with Blood Red. The interior was painted too long ago for me to remember what paints I used. Metallic Gray was used for the insides of the air brakes.